Re: front-end vs back-end

From: Tony Jambu <TJambu_at_vtrlmel1.trl.oz.au>
Date: 23 Nov 1994 23:11:54 GMT

In article <3avt24$6bo_at_panix.com>, janest_at_panix.com (John Anest) says:

> We're wondering if we're the only ones writing a complex financial
>system entirely on the back-end using stored procedures. We have thousands
>of lines of code. We cannot keep our transactions short because they're
>long!
> Is everybody using the client to process the data? Are you only using
>the database as a data repository? Is this the reality of the situation?

John

I asked a similar question a few weeks ago and got zippo replies. We are basically taking the same approach as you are. The % calls of direct SQL statements from the client end to back-end (Procedures) is <5%. That is >95% of our SQL statements is in the back-end or RDBMS.

I put this question to one of Oracle's perfomance tuning expert (opps I mean ex-Oracle staff who is now working at BMC) and he said it was a good move based on the type of application we are writing. I would love to hear from you and any others of your experience, that are in the same boat as us.

ta
tony

 _____       ________ / ___|Tony Jambu, Database Consultant
  /_  _        /_ __ /     |Wizard Consulting, Aust (ACN 065934778)
 /(_)/ )(_/ \_/(///(/_)/_( |CIS:100250.2003_at_compuserve.com FAX:+61-3-2536173
 \_______/                 |EMAIL:TJambu_at_wizard.com.au PHONE: +61-3-2536385