Re: How to link 100 portables to an Oracle Database

From: Jacqui Caren <Jacqui.Caren_at_ig.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 1994 13:37:31 +0000

In article comp.databases.oracle:<simon-211194100128_at_193.16.15.13>, simon_at_pindar.demon.co.uk (simon) writes:
>Hi Dud's
>
> I'm looking at the possibility of linking a 100 portables
>into a sun 10 oracle7 server.
>
>How do I do it ??
>Any ideas
>Cheers in Advance
>simon_at_pindar.com

Well, if by this you mean that you require a system to allow a subset(?) of 100 portables to be able to dial in to a server and access the database then this is something that we are doing right now.

Also, what access are you after?
Our customers want to be able to update configuration data using a nice, simple GUI and create, execute and deliver the output of reports/graphs back to the PC/notepad/mac/...

We are intending to use the Netscape browser with a httpd server on the sun (a sparc 5 at this time) and allow a minimum of 16 lines in. The number of phone lines will grow as the number of users grow. The oracle database is actually on a BIG VAX/VMS box (political reasons...)

I exepect that once the demo phase is over we will be using V.FC USR modem racks. This should give users fast enough access.

I have a bunch of demos that I access using a notepad running windows3.1 and a copy of Netscape. Everyone that sees the demo is bowled over by the speed and simplicity of the interface. The facility for imagemap handling (showing a picture of a bookcase with the reports on shelves and letting the user click on the book/report they want) totally blow thier mind. Given that they are used to text based oracle forms, this is just a whole new world to them.

By the way the files that make up the first imagemap demo are

html file 7 lines long.
htimage conf files 8 lines long.
perl cgi script 200 lines or so.

The big downside is that the whole process is stateless, so you need to hold context (if any) in the web pages (forms) and the connection information.

I see that you are a demonite - give me a ring and we can talk technical.
If you are anywhere near the godalming(surrey) area then by all means pop in sometime to see what we are doing.

All the best,

        Jacqui

--
Jacqui Caren, Paul Ingram Group Ltd. J.Caren_at_ig.co.uk
My opinions are corect...  ( and my spelling ? :-)