Re: what is an invalid tablespace?

From: RHIESTER <rhiester_at_aol.com>
Date: 19 Nov 1994 14:15:33 -0500

In article <khuisman.41.000B4A5E_at_wnet.gov.edmonton.ab.ca>, khuisman_at_wnet.gov.edmonton.ab.ca (Ken Huisman) writes:

> I was looking at the dba_tablespaces table today and I noticed two
 tablespaces
> whose status field was 'invalid'. I tried to drop them ( they are not
 used )
> but it said they did not exist, and they still appear in the
dba_tablespaces
t> able. How do i get rid of them?

Ken,

I am assuming :) that you are talking V6. If this is the case, then most likely these are
tablespaces which have already been droped. In V6, when you drop a tablespace,
the dba_tablespaces view reports them as "invalid". How do you get rid of them?
You don't, at least not through any "normal" command. If the entries really bug you,
then you can go into the the $ tables (ts$, etc.) and physically delete the appropriate
rows, HOWEVER DATABASE CORRUPTION IS VERY PROSIBLE! Also, Oracle will not provide "support" if you perform this act (ohh!!!).

Bottom line? If V6, ignore the entries.

Richard Hiester
Database Administrator
Bell Atlantic Network Services, Inc

e-mail: Work - rhiester_at_baosc.com

          Home - rhiester_at_aol.com Received on Sat Nov 19 1994 - 20:15:33 CET

Original text of this message