Re: Why don't large companies use Ada?

From: Erland Sommarskog <sommar_at_enea.se>
Date: 19 Nov 1994 19:32:38 +0100

Kursten Schuetz (kschuetz_at_chuckie.raleigh.ibm.com) writes:
>I can understand and advocates desire to initiate a debate with
>more application oriented languages such as C and C++, but unless
>Ada 9X also includes features for transaction control and declarative
>manipulation of relational structures, what does it have to do with
>this forum?
>
>A major reason why corporations use the tools they choose is to
>reduce development time and expense while increasing function. Ada
>simply isn't designed for many of these information-based needs;

It is difficult to see where Kursten is getting at. If he really means what he says in the first paragraph - then why the rest of ranting.

In any case, it is true that Ada does not provide any special support for relational databases and transaction (and neither should it), but this is true for C and C++ as well.

Ada's advantage over specialized 4GLs, is the same as the one of C++: you get a general-purpose language which is much more mature when it comes to data abstraction. With the regards to C++, Ada is simply cleaner.

--
Erland Sommarskog, sommar_at_enea.se, Stockholm
Pour qui est-ce qui vous croyez que je parle?