Re: Oracle and Non-Green Card Indians

From: David Smith at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo <smith_at_netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 1994 07:42:32 GMT

YVONNE BAUMERT, DECUS EUROPE AD-SIG CHAIR (y_baumert_at_decus.ch) wrote:
: Please David,

: stop disqualifying yourself.
: When I wrote my first answer I hadn't read so far. Don't forget Chris is
: right. Anybody who is responsible for hiring and follows this will not employ
: somebody who is so aggressive and negative. And this is not only in the US but
: throuout the world.

I am not looking for employement by Oracle Corporation. And I dare say I am the wrong nationality, should I so desire.

: And don't forget for an international company like ORACLE it is very important
: to have multicultural working groups. That's how you get different ideas and
: get the tiny bit of advantage that makes you one of the leading corporations in
: the business.

Then why are they so racist, only hiring massive amounts of Indians. Aren't the Africans' and Latins' imputs desired as well?

: Please Stop

Okay, since you asked, I will never again talk about the massive amounts of H-1 Indians that Oracle Corporations has funneled in from India, so it can save on payroll costs, while American computer science graduates go jobless.

: Yours

Truly?

: Yvonne (I'm not an ORACLE employee)

: To anybody else:

: Don't take my courage writing and replying in news. As I am not a native
: speaker(writer) and as I have never lived in an English speaking country
: you might find some strange grammar structures and mixed British and American
: spelling which is actually very often very different.

We have to deal with the broken English of millions of immigrants over here, so we are quite used to it, sadly.

: Thank you for your understanding.

: Yvonne Baumert

: -----------------------------cut here----------------------------------------

: In article <smithCz5Gzs.8s2_at_netcom.com>, smith_at_netcom.com ( David Smith at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo) writes:
: > David B Criswell (dcriswel_at_us.oracle.com) wrote:
: >
: > : Disclaimer: Yes, I work for you know who. If I were their spokesman,
: > : I'd probably make it through this post without using the word
: > : "pinhead". I'm not.

: > : smith_at_netcom.com ( David Smith at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo) writes:

: > : >Oracle Corporation, currently hires enourmous amounts of Indians
: > : [...]
: > : some racist ranting deleted
: > : [Btw, why do none of the ranters have spelling checkers?]
: >
: > To give you smug pinheads something to twit about.
: >
: > : >You will find them, not
: > : >only programming or what have you, but also manning the technical support
: > : >lines in large numbers. Seems odd to put recent immigrants
: > : >on a phone support
: > : >line, but Oracle knows that a desperate immigrant fleeing his
: > : >impoverished country, will work for less, and they will save a few pennies.

: > : Um, that's "recent immigrants from an English speaking former British
: > : colony, who've spent at least four years in an english-speaking university".
: > : I don't see what's wrong with that.
: >
: > Sorry, Cris, they are pre-Green card folks that your corporation is soaking
: > up by the tanker full. What's wrong with that? Don't ask me, just ask all the
: > underemployed computer science grads that you went to school with. We don't
: > owe Americans anything do we? Let's open up the floodgates completely, and
: > then Oracle can hire so many Chinese and Indians, that David Criswell can
: > become lead sanitary engineer.
: >
: > : >Sadly, there is such a surplus of Americans looking for Computer Science type
: > : >jobs, that a 2 or 3 line classified ad looking for a programmer or
: > : >network person etc., will draw 200 resumes in a week,

: > : Yes, you're right. A classified ad would draw 200 resumes from incompetant
: > : chuckleheads that aren't worth my time to read. That is why most managers
: > : at Oracle that I know don't advertise open positions that way.
: >
: > Well, I guess that has it Cris, Indians are superior to Americans. Gee, isn't
: > it funny how the racism of you American haters always comes out. By the way,
: > do you think the fact that they get hundreds of pre-Green card Indians who
: > work for less than the going wage, and have the threat of deportation
: > hanging over their heads, making them very pliable employees, has anything to
: > do with the fact that they don't want Americans, or is it all about a racial
: > bias?
: >
: > : >and a large amount of
: > : >those being from Computer Science graduates who have been unable to land
: > : >their first job.

: > : Oracle does not owe you a job because you cannot find one. Oracle does
: > : recruit at Cal Poly, so if you hurry on down to the career center you
: > : might catch the recruiter. They hire very large amounts of just-out-of
: > : school folks - the average age here was 24 last I checked.
: >
: > Oracle, can legally hire as many thousands of non-resident Indians as it
: > wants Criswell, but you are on unknown turf here, this is all about moral
: > values dude. Why would I want to work with a huge cultural barrier between
: > me and my co-workers, with the exception of some smug American hating Americans
: > like yourself? Plus, it would be so monotonous going to all those going
: > away luncheons, as each Indian gets his green card after a while, and then
: > exits stage left, doubletime!
: >
: > : BTW, those of us who are qualified have job offers up the wazoo,
: > : unsolicited, so I know there's jobs out there. There's tons of
: > : positions (inappropriately) posted here in this newsgroup, as well.
: >
: > Right, tons of positions. Ever been to a job fair, and seen the deperate
: > techical college graduates, swarming the booths for a few positions.
: > Or do you just hang out in those green towers in Redwood Shores playing
: > find the curry sauce?
: >
: > : >Is is morally right to allow Oracle to save a few bucks
: > : >while Americans with Computer Science degrees are unemployed.

: > : I'd be interested in seeing the data that Oracle's entry-level salaries
: > : are below the industry average. My sources are highly biased, but
: > : they seem to indicate that the opposite is true and personal experience
: > : backs that up.
: >
: > We are talking about what they pay all the non-green card Indians. Not the
: > sanctimonious David Criswell types.
: >
: > : >Would the
: > : >average American Computer Science graduate really be unable to man Oracle's
: > : >tech support phones?

: > : I'd rather hire an above average Computer Science graduate than an average
: > : one. If you're average, you don't stand a snowball's chance in hell here.
: > : If you're _way_ above average, you can make the team and who gives a toss
: > : what color your skin is.
: >
: > Just the accounts I suppose, who see green when they find desperate hordes
: > of non-residents willing to work for less.
: >
: > : Point is, if I'm hiring someone I'm counting on them to snatch my butt
: > : out of the fire now and then. I expect to do the same. I want someone I
: > : can count on, not some pinhead who mewls plaintively about white males
: > : being an oppressed class.
: >
: > I am sure your butt is in the fire quite a bit, and it does take 2 non-green
: > card Indians for the price of one American, to save it, continuously. I guess
: > not many self-hating Americans, to fill your shoes so willingly up their
: > with the newly non-immigrated Indians.
: >
: >
: > : >Would they be worse at it? Are the Indians racially
: > : >superior?

: > : Don't know, but the ones I've worked with have been pretty damned
: > : impressive, and I'm _not_ an easy judge.
: >
: > Yeah, like most smug, self-absorbed, cocky know-it-alls, you probably have
: > to have it kissed on both cheeks, in a manner only desperate non-resident
: > are willing to do.
: >
: > : >I ask you Oracle advocates of the world.

: > : David Duke is looking for a speechwriter - that's more your speed. Here,
: > : you have demonstrated an inability to work with some of my team.
: >
: > Dave "If you are not for non-resident, pre-Green card, Indians coming over
: > here and taking tons of nice desirable comoputer science jobs at below
: > market wages, then you must be Hitler" Criswell
: >
: > aka David "If I get smug enough and extreme enough, maybe people will forget
: > about all the tons of Indians taking jobs from Americans, thanks to the
: > Oracle Corporation hiring practices" Criswell
: >
: > : Dave Criswell

: > : P.S. You've also offended many of the Senior VP's and managers who
: > : might hire you.
: >
: > Well, then have the ones I haven't offended give me a call.
: >
: > : P.P.S. Don't even think of applying at Gupta.
: >
: > Do they prefer to hire around the immigration laws like your employer,
: > Oracle Corporation?