Can't Connect to Oracle with SQL*Net V1

From: Brad Sokol <brad.sokol_at_canrem.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 94 19:32:00 -0400

I'm new to Oracle and need some help with a SQL*Net connection problem.

We have successfully established a connection between our Windows V3.1 clients and our Oracle V7.1.3 server running Sequent Dynix V2.1 using SQL*Net V2. We can't seem to make SQL*Net V1 work, in order to emulate a client's environment.

We've been using the NETTEST.EXE utility that comes on the SQL*Net installation diskettes to test the connection. Works fine with SQL*Net V2, but with V1 we get a permission denied error returned to the PC from Dynix when trying to attach to shared memory (shmat call to the SGA??). There is an Oracle message number displayed but I'm at home and don't have the correct scribbles with me at the moment.

We checked that orasrv is running on the server, can connect from the server with SQLPlus (sqlplus user/password_at_t:machine:sid). In orasrv.log there is actually an entry indicating that a connection request was received from the Windows client but no indication of the error. This would suggest that SQL*Net V1 is at least partially correct on the client.

The permission denied error might suggest that either the incoming connect request is coming from a user id that does not have the correct privileges or the server tasks don't have correct privileges. It was all so much easier with Sybase and Redbrick :-)

Server is Sequent 450 running Dynix V2.1.1 and Oracle V7.1.3. PC is running Windows 3.1 under DOS 6.2. TCP/IP support is from SunSolaris PC-NFS V5.0 but we have the same problem with another PC running PC/TCP V3.0 from FTP Software.

Please offer suggestions if you can. I will gladly provide more info, just ask!

Brad Sokol Received on Sat Nov 12 1994 - 00:32:00 CET

Original text of this message