Re: Printing from Oracle Forms (4.0)

From: Maurice Walshe <mjwalshe_at_tymnet.bt.co.uk>
Date: 8 Nov 1994 10:58:13 GMT

In article <39bbr2$6eg_at_news.bu.edu>, ggeorge_at_bu.edu (Gerry George) says:

>I have to "program" in Forms4.0 to allow our Windows & Sun UNIX clients
>to print to networked printers. We have printers available via both LPD
>on the Unix side and Windows/Netware print queues on the PC/Windows side.

>The database server is an HP Unix box (which has printer access via lpd).
>Connection is via TCP/IP.

>I do not know Forms40, but my boss suggested that it should be straight-
>forward since I do know "regular" programming languages (C, etc) and Windows
>internals.

>My question: Is a printed output send by the client (Windows/Sun) or from
>the server (HP) or can it be both?

>How would it be done to get proper formatting, etc of output and (if possible)
>fonts other than basic courier (Two of the printers are Postscript compatible).

>Is this hopeless without knowing how to program in Forms?

its hopeless in forms4 any how :-) you have to use oracle reports to do any printing. And knowing regular programing and windows internals wont help much.

We did try to do a quick and dirty print screen function but this only prints the curent window - not the entire MDI its also very slow 20 min for a tiny form and produces huge! print files (this bug is known to Oracle)

Rgds Maurice Received on Tue Nov 08 1994 - 11:58:13 CET

Original text of this message