Printing from Oracle Forms (4.0)

From: Gerry George <ggeorge_at_bu.edu>
Date: 3 Nov 1994 18:57:38 GMT

I have to "program" in Forms4.0 to allow our Windows & Sun UNIX clients to print to networked printers. We have printers available via both LPD on the Unix side and Windows/Netware print queues on the PC/Windows side.

The database server is an HP Unix box (which has printer access via lpd). Connection is via TCP/IP.

I do not know Forms40, but my boss suggested that it should be straightforward  since I do know "regular" programming languages (C, etc) and Windows internals.

My question: Is a printed output send by the client (Windows/Sun) or from the server (HP) or can it be both?

How would it be done to get proper formatting, etc of output and (if possible) fonts other than basic courier (Two of the printers are Postscript compatible).

Is this hopeless without knowing how to program in Forms?

Gerry George                         | Anything good in life is either
School of Management, Boston Univ.   | illegal, immoral or fattening.
Internet: ggeorge_at_digisolv.com       | Any item not in the above three
HomeNet: ggeorge_at_jacquot.ci.net      | categories causes cancer in rats!

Never test for an error condition you don't know how to handle