Oracle7 ODBC Errors (Lots of 'em)

From: Andrew McAllister <mcallister_at_neptune.grad.missouri.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 1994 09:02:54

I'm getting lots of errors while using Oracle's ODBC drivers for version 7. I downloaded them from the black market (an ftp site that shall remain nameless) because I don't have and don't intend to get a Compu$erve Account. Read this as Why doesn't the world's third, or is it second, largest software vendor have a presence on the internet? I'm available to help set one up if only Oracle would ask. I could even buy the hardware, software, and provide the internet connection for less than I would pay for a year of support. Whoops, sorry for the flaming, it was a rough weekend.

Symptom: Various actions using MS Access 2.0 and MS Query produce the following error: "ODBC Specification Comformance Error (-7711). This error should be reported to the ODBC driver vendor."

This error can be reproduced 100% of the time by: 1) Viewing an Oracle7 table that has been attached to MS Access 2.0 by opening the table in Datasheet mode. (Table has 8 fields, 481 records no on delete triggers or cascades)
2) Choosing Select all records from the Edit menu. 3) Hitting the delete key. This will supposedly delete all the selected records.

Result: About 40% of the way through the delete, The ODBC -7711 error occurrs and the table is rolled back. When the table view is refreshed, all fields read "#Error". An immediate quit of Access (or Query) is required; sometimes a reboot of client is necessary.

I can also reproduce this error when running a select * query from a table several times in a row.

Related errors: Oracle's ODBC Test program Version 1.0.0.0 that came with the ODBC drivers can connect and run the show tables button commands, but will not run any select * query when typed into the SQL window. I get an GPF error and must close.

I have recently de-installed and re-installed SQLNet and ODBC drivers and this did not solve the problem. Many other ODBC functions work normally.

Any help on the above would be welcome.
Andy --- mcallister_at_neptune.grad.missouri.edu Received on Mon Nov 07 1994 - 09:02:54 CET

Original text of this message