Re: Oracle7 ODBC Errors (Lots of 'em)

From: Lawrence James <James.Lawrence_at_epamail.epa.gov>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 1994 15:46:47 GMT

In article <mcallister.3.00090CA2_at_neptune.grad.missouri.edu> mcallister_at_neptune.grad.missouri.edu (Andrew McAllister) writes:
>From: mcallister_at_neptune.grad.missouri.edu (Andrew McAllister)
>Subject: Oracle7 ODBC Errors (Lots of 'em)
>Date: Mon, 7 Nov 1994 09:02:54

>I'm getting lots of errors while using Oracle's ODBC drivers for
>version 7. I downloaded them from the black market (an ftp site that shall
>remain nameless) because I don't have and don't intend to get a Compu$erve
>Account. Read this as Why doesn't the world's third, or is it second, largest
>software vendor have a presence on the internet? I'm available to help set one
>up if only Oracle would ask. I could even buy the hardware, software, and
>provide the internet connection for less than I would pay for a year of
>support. Whoops, sorry for the flaming, it was a rough weekend.

>Symptom: Various actions using MS Access 2.0 and MS Query produce the
>following error: "ODBC Specification Comformance Error (-7711). This error
>should be reported to the ODBC driver vendor."
>
>This error can be reproduced 100% of the time by:
>1) Viewing an Oracle7 table that has been attached to MS Access 2.0 by opening
>the table in Datasheet mode. (Table has 8 fields, 481 records no on delete
>triggers or cascades)
>2) Choosing Select all records from the Edit menu.
>3) Hitting the delete key. This will supposedly delete all the selected
>records.

What happens when you issue a delete on this table from SQLPlus on the same client?

>Result: About 40% of the way through the delete, The ODBC -7711 error occurrs
>and the table is rolled back. When the table view is refreshed, all fields
>read "#Error". An immediate quit of Access (or Query) is required; sometimes a
>reboot of client is necessary.

>I can also reproduce this error when running a select * query from a table
>several times in a row.

>Related errors: Oracle's ODBC Test program Version 1.0.0.0 that came with the
>ODBC drivers can connect and run the show tables button commands, but will not
>run any select * query when typed into the SQL window. I get an GPF error and
>must close.

What version of SQLNet and the Support Files are you using? Do you have any problems using these tables through the native API with SQLPlus on this client? What module is the GPF in? I think you have problems beyond the driver.

Frankly you should consider using products that use the native API instead of ODBC. All the top of the line client server products do except Microsoft's. Strange, you'd think MS doesn't like Oracle.

>I have recently de-installed and re-installed SQLNet and ODBC drivers and this
>did not solve the problem. Many other ODBC functions work normally.

Work normally between what and what?