Re: Case 5.1 availability?

From: <Rony.Flatscher_at_wu-wien.ac.at>
Date: 2 Nov 1994 09:04:55 GMT

In <39613s$d95_at_ixnews1.ix.netcom.com>, jmjacobs_at_ix.netcom.com (Jeff Jacobs) writes:
>In <CyKI84.IH4_at_ugc.ab.ca> geoff_at_ugc.ab.ca (Geoff Coleman) writes:

.. cut ...

>>>Hard to believe that Oracle is that stupid, eh? I couldn't believe it when I
>>>first heard it either.
>>>

>> Especially when you know that they have been unable to port the
>>case designer to windows. You run it under X or Os/2.
>>
>>Geoff Coleman
>>

>The next generation of CDE2 CASE has totally new diagrammers, built
>in C++ and Windows Foundation, etc. Which is why it's not going to
>be ported to anything else (unless MS does it first :-).

Jeff:

You do realize of course that Oracle is giving away its main-advantage: platform independency. This made Oracle big over the course of time.

Citing the use of MFC-classes you put your company to the mercy of Microsoft. It is Microsoft which decides for which platforms MFC will be ported and Oracle has to follow (unless some third-party would start to fully implement a portable version of MFC, which is almost impossible).

It is hard for me to understand a decision which makes a large company like Oracle volunteerly dependent on another company, namely Microsoft. The least I would expect from a strategically thinking company is to use portable C++-libraries, so you could cover more than the Windows world and be as platform independent as possible.

---rony Received on Wed Nov 02 1994 - 10:04:55 CET

Original text of this message