Re: database security

From: Jgreene <jgreene_at_aol.com>
Date: 1 Nov 1994 19:21:02 -0500

In article <38oh1r$1sa_at_raffles.technet.sg>, shchua_at_solomon.technet.sg (Chua Song Heng) says:

>Suppose there are 2 databases on a server and I have 2 database
>administrators taking charge of one each.
>Is there any way to control access such that each DBA can only access the

>database he is in charge of?
>(database is on version 7)

There are two things to explore. The first would be to avoid granting either of them access to the operating system DBA group. If they are both in the DBA group, then SQL*DBA will allow them to connect internal and act as if they were the SYS user in each other's system. If neither had the DBA group assigned to them by the system administrator (make sure they do not have access to system administration privileges), then each would require a valid user ID and password to work in SQL*DBA, SQL*Plus, etc.

The other option (...thinking way back...) may be to see if, during the Oracle installation process, you get to specify the name of the DBA group when configuring the Oracle instance. I thought that was in there along with the name of the Oracle user, but I may be wrong (if I am wrong you have to use the previous option). If this is a possibility, just assign different operating system DBA groups to the 2 instances and that way they will be able to have DBA group (i.e. connect internal) access to SQL*DBA separate from one another.

Hope this helps. Received on Wed Nov 02 1994 - 01:21:02 CET

Original text of this message