Thurs Nov 3 9am:Client Server & Distributed Database Design:IRMAC seminar

From: Tom Trottier <af910_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 1994 05:26:30 GMT

IRMAC Ottawa presents:

          Client/Server and Distributed Database Design
                      Invited Speaker: Tim Quinlan

Thursday, November 3, 1994 9:00 AM Elgin room, National Arts Centre

$15; IRMAC members free (annual membership $80)

NOTE: The usual first Wednesday of every month has been moved to following Thursday for this meeting ONLY. This was done because there are other meetings on Wednesday, November 2 being conducted on client/server related products by Bachman Information Systems, Information Builders, and Powersoft.

Tim Quinlan is a database designer and implementor with 14 years of database experience to his credit. Tim has been involved in DB2 since 1987 designing and implementing large database applications. Recent assignments included database design and administration in a DB2, SQL Server, MDI Gateway environment. Along with this, a Client/Server Architecture including standards and guidelines were developed to support the environment.

Topic Outline:
- Industry and Corporate Architectures
- Methods for determining database design

> The Network Model in the development process
> Designing for complex data types (eg. image, text) and long transactions
> Determining data placement
> Predicting performance in a client/server environment
> Designing for portability

- Middleware
- Standards for heterogeneous databases
- Maintenance and operational support
- Security

This presentation is approximately 1 hr. 30 minutes. It will be followed by an open discussion of the topic. Coffee and croissants will be served starting at 8:30.

Information Resource Management Association of Canada (Ottawa) PO Box 81070 Ottawa ON K1P 1B1
af910_at_freenet.carleton.ca or GO IRMAC on the freenet Announcement, voicemail 239-4903 Fax: +1 613 594-8944

             Focusing on issues of interest to managers
     who want to put their corporation's information assets to work.

                       IRMAC 1994-95 PROGRAM CALENDAR

     Seminars are 9-11:30 am, usually the first Wednesday of each month
          at the National Arts Centre (NAC) in Le Salon (1st Floor)
                      Coffee, refreshments at 8:30 am
                           $15, IRMAC members free
           Annual membership $80, Corporate memberships available

94 Nov 3 Client Server and Distributed Databases (NOTE: in ELGIN room at NAC) (THURS!) Tim Quinlan will lead us through the issues surrounding database and transaction design, implementation, and maintenance, including performance, portability, security and complex data types.

94 Dec 7 Emerging/Integrating Toolsets and IRM We'll examine the toolsets and trends that facilitate the management of your organization's information resources.

95 Jan 4 Database design for Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) Electronic Commerce is playing an expanding role in the way in which organizations inter-operate. If you anticipate use of EDI, plan your databases with your eyes open.

95 Feb 1 Data Warehousing We'll explore the area of data warehousing. Does it work? How is it implemented? What are common tools and strategies? Who has been successful in implementing their strategies?

95 Mar 1 Parallel Databases How do parallel databases work? How are they maintained? Where are they successfully implemented?

95 Apr 5 Change Management Come explore the current state of change management and its impacts on electronic environments.

95 May 3 <To Be Announced>

95 Jun 7 IRM in the 90's To end our season we'd like to hear your views and experiences. Come join us for this group discussion concerning the current state and futures of Information Resource Management.

The Information Resource Management Association of Canada is dedicated to keeping information management professionals abreast of recent industry trends and local accomplishments. It is a non-profit association with chapters in several Canadian cities, including Ottawa, Toronto and Victoria. IRMAC Ottawa holds monthly sessions to raise awareness of technical issues and explore the practical application of information resource management tools and techniques.

IRMAC holds seminars the first Wednesday morning of each month.

GO IRMAC for details (telnet to freenet.carleton.ca if necessary)

Tom A. Trottier af910_at_freenet.carleton.ca

Note: IRMAC is offering a membership in the freenet auction. GO AUCTION in the Ottawa freenet to bid/see/...
--
 \Tom Trottier  613 594-4829  fax:594-8944  af910_at_freenet.carleton.ca\