v6 on SunOS4 -> v7 on Solaris2.3 Q

From: BARRY ROOMBERG <barry.roomberg_at_compudata.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 94 16:54:00 -0400

-> Ought we to upgrade to v7 on our SunOS4 host first (as the
-> manual suggests), or is it practical to run the two versions in
-> parallel (on separate hosts) and use export/import?

DO NOT DO A BLIND UPGRADE!!!! (whew, got that off my chest.)

You need to install on another system and test all your apps, forms, etc. The differences in VARCHAR VS VARCHAR2 comparisons/blank padding can kill you, along with possibly broken cost-based optimizer.

Copy your current V6 stuff to another system, and migrate that, testing EVERYTHING, expecially if you have scripts that create table on the fly. Those will have to have all char and varchar changed to varchar2. If you have any housekeeping scripts that depend on the data dictionary, be prepared to kiss those goodbye and re-write. Received on Thu Oct 20 1994 - 21:54:00 CET

Original text of this message