ORACLEware/Novell Problems Still

From: Michael Stowe <Michael.Stowe_at_f573.fido.chi.il.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 94 09:49:33 -0500

Your processor and speed are important here; note that 192 Megs can be too much if your processor isn't all that quick -- the processor will spend too much time seeking through RAM and will actually decrease performance. This is highly platform specific.
> 2. It is an ORACLE Server on its own ring
> 3. One user (other than the standard background processes)
> 4. Novell block size is 64K, ORACLE block size is 4K

This isn't so great a situation -- your Novell block size should be 4K as well, or 64K has to be read for EACH block retrieved. I imagine that this can be a large contributor to your problem.

> 5. It has 4 GIG disk, and will be running duplexed (duplex is off now)

Duplexing should not significantly affect performance...

> 6. We are using "out of the box" INIT.ORA parameters for a
> medium-sized database.
> 7. Using the "out of the box" INIT.ORA parameters for a large-sized
> database crashes the system...especially if trying to create a datafile
> >60MG

Very odd -- at least increase your block buffers, but it sounds like that isn't your problem.
> 8. Old errata: V7.0.15 RDBMS with V3.12 Novell
> 9. The best I can get: loading 6 records/second; I must have 10
> records/second

Several questions:

a) what is a record?
b) do you mean loading using LOADER from the server?
c) are you direct loading?