Re: access2.0->ODBC->sql*netV2->ORACLE Problems

From: Larry Burns <lburns_at_cac.washington.edu>
Date: 13 Oct 1994 22:01:25 GMT

In article <37k4jn$de4_at_finzi.ccinet.ab.ca>, u32250_at_spock.grhosp.ab.ca (Quinn Mah) writes:

|> I am trying to use Access 2.0 as a front end for an oracle
|> database but I get a "General Protection Fault in Module
|> MSAJT200.DLL". This happens right after I sign on to the oracle
|> database through the signon panel when I try to attach a SQL database
|> table. I am pretty sure my ODBC(1.1.0.1)->SQL*NetV2->PC-NFS5.0->Oracle7
|> connection is working because I have tested it with MS-Query and the
|> Oracle ODBC test program(ODBCTST.EXE) and have actually got data from the
|> server.I have managed to attach tables from a MS-Sql Server database but
|> when I try to attach a table from the oracle database, it dies
|> with that great error message.
|> Any help is appreciated.
|>
|> Thanks,
|>
|> Quinn Mah
|> Glenrose Hospital
|> Edmonton, Ab, Ca
|> E-mail:u32250_at_grhosp.ab.ca

Quinn,

I'm a novice at MS-Access, but I could possibly suggest a few things:

  1. Check your MSACC20.INI file for the presence of the line:

        DisableAsync=1

   If this line is present, remove it and reboot Windows and see if that    does the trick. I had to remove this line in order to attach remote    tables on our Sybase 10 server.

2) While you're checking the MSACC20.INI file, check the values of

   LoginTimeout and ConnectTimeout in the [ODBC] section. The values    I currently use are 20 and 60, respectively, but I'm thinking of    raising the ConnectTimeout limit, since version 2.0 is so slow and    inefficient. Many of my queries are timing out before the result    set can be returned.

3) Most of the General Protection Faults I've encountered with MS-Access

   seem to be the result of exceeding the available memory. If I try to    return too many rows, more than can be held in memory, I get the GPF.    Since I am using a PC that has only 16MB of memory, I have to make sure    that *nothing* else is in memory (other than DOS in high memory) before    I invoke Windows and MS-Access. So check your AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS    files and remove anything (other than DOS) that gets loaded into memory.    Also check the "StartUp" window when you get into Windows, and make sure    there aren't any applications being loaded at start-up time. I was getting    a GPF on every query I did, until I noticed an FTP window was being    opened every time I invoked Windows. When I removed this from my StartUp    window, my MS-Access queries started working again. But I still can't    return more than 1,000-2,000 rows of data without getting a GPF.

Hope this helps.

						Larry Burns
						University of Washington
						Information Systems