Oracle/OpenVMS Performance Question

From: BARRY ROOMBERG <barry.roomberg_at_compudata.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 94 14:03:00 -0400

-> We support a mix of interactive users and batch jobs. A recrurring
-> batch jobs runs every 15 minutes, at priority 4. The interactive
-> users and Oracle run at priority 4. The remaining batch jobs runs at
-> priority 3. The batch jobs consist of payroll, accounts apayable and
-> some large reporting jobs. All batch and interactive processing is
-> run between the hours of 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM. I have strongly
-> recommended against doing this practice, but my warnings go unheeded.
-> Because of our low CPU load, this seems like a contributing factor,
-> but I do not think it is the only cause.

Have you simply run for a couple of days without the various batches to make sure they aren't having the degrading effect?

You seem to have an extremely well tuned system, the only red flag is the varying priority levels.
Oracle programs are not supposed to have varying priorities due to the fact of possible deadlocks since they communicate with background processes. Received on Tue Oct 11 1994 - 19:03:00 CET

Original text of this message