Re: State of Oracle, A/UX and PowerMacs and PowerOpen

From: Carsten Pedersen <carstenp_at_inet.uni-c.dk>
Date: 10 Oct 1994 19:51:23 GMT

Doug Bitting (dbitting_at_us.oracle.com) wrote:
: In article <ewing-0410941505150001_at_ewing.vhp.vanderbilt.edu> Rick Ewing,
: ewing_at_vhp.vanderbilt.edu writes:
: >In addition, since the current version of Oracle Server V6.036 for
: >standard Macintosh (not A/UX) won't run properly under emulation either
: >due to the incompatibility of the SQL*Net tools with Apple's Shared
: >Library Manager, bug fixes for SQL*Net will come in the December time
: >frame.

: Minor correction. The Oracle for Macintosh and Oracle Server for
: Macintosh do not work under emulation because of incompatibilities with
: the Code Fragment Manager / Segement Loader implementations on the Power
: Macintoshes.

: Before the days of the Shared Library Manager and Code Fragment Manager,
: there was no way to dynamically load drivers/libraries. So, Oracle
: designed their own "loadable driver" technology. As is to be expected,
: when the Apple changed the implementations of the underlying OS calls we
: used, things have a tendency to break. In this particular case, we were
: somewhat blessed since only Oracle for Macintosh and Oracle Server for
: Macintosh seem to have trouble in emulation mode. Officially, however,
: no Oracle tool will be supported on the Power Macs until prior to an SLM
: or CFM release

This is getting very interesting (and a bit scary!). First of all it's nice that Oracle has started letting out some information on their plans for Mac support. However freezing the server product for a year was not what I had hoped for. We're shipping a rather complex Mac application using Oracle on AWS95 as our recommended server. We just discovered a problem involving the 7.0.15.5.3 server (which I've been told is the last!) involving the shared SQL pool. The bug will be fixed in V 7.1.3 which of course will never arrive for A/UX. We were also planning to implement a distributed database solution using found in 7.1.x. Well I guess theres nothing much we can do about the above, there seems to be workaround of the shared pool bug by flushng it regularly, and we'll have to implement our distributed database with fewer features, but I would very much like to get some more info on the PowerMac situation. We don't have a big need to run either the Oracle 6 server or single user on PowerMacs (allthough we've done so without problems!?), but how about using PowerMacs as clients. We're about to convert our application to native code, but there doesn't seem to be much point if SQLNet is incompatible with the PowerMacs. If this is actually the case, WHEN will there be fix?

Carsten Pedersen
Telelarm Teknicard A/S Received on Mon Oct 10 1994 - 20:51:23 CET

Original text of this message