Re: Forms performance [need help!]

From: Bruce Pihlamae <pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au>
Date: 5 Oct 94 12:00:58 +1000

In article <SMUENCH.94Oct4073527_at_doh.oracle.com>, smuench_at_oracle.com (Steven P. Muench) writes:

> Forms will *Not* disable index usage because of the Case-Insensitive
> Query property being set TRUE for a database item. Say you typed in the
> three letters 'AbC' into such a field during enter-query mode, then the
> clause we'll generate (for that specific column) is:
>
> ... AND ( (COL LIKE 'Ab%' OR
> COL LIKE 'aB%' OR
> COL LIKE 'ab%' OR
> COL LIKE 'AB%') AND UPPER(COL) = 'ABC') ...

                                    ^^^^^
                                    ^^^^^
                               note: function on indexed column?

> This will use an index on the COL column if another better index is not
> found by the optimizer.

I was informed on my Oracle tuning course that the moment you put a FUNCTION on an indexed column the optimiser rejects using that index.

Are you stating that it now DOES use the index or have I come in on the tail end of a different discussion?

--

Bruce...        pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au

* Bruce Pihlamae  --  Database Administration                     *
* Commonwealth Department of Human Services and Health            *
* Canberra, ACT, Australia                        (W) 06-289-7056 *
* These are my own thoughts and opinions, few that I have.        *

"The more complex the argument gets, the easier it is to refute."
"Killing is wrong!"  -- Trent 'The Uncatchable' Castanaveras