Re: Forms performance [need help!]

From: Steve Lutter <shl9_at_cornell.edu>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 1994 15:20:07 -0500

In article <shl9-280994092214_at_128.253.170.113>, shl9_at_cornell.edu (Steve Lutter) wrote:

> Anyone who has solutions please Post and/or email to me!
>
> Here's the problem:
> A query through forms on an HP takes 9 seconds, 30-40seconds(!!!) on a Mac
> Workserver and is instantaneous in SQLDBA on either machine running as a
> client or on the server. I have optimized SQL preferences on, I have bumped
> up the records buffered and down the number fetched. I am looking into
> clustering the two tables used in the join that the select hits but I don't
> think that should be neccessary because of the good speed through SQLDBA.
> Any ideas people?
> Steve Lutter
> shl9_at_cornell.edu

Thanks to those of you who offered ideas. It turns out that my emulation of the command in SQLDBA was bogus. I had case insensitive query turned on in forms. This results in UPPER() being used in the sql generated and indexes on the tables can't be used and the entire table(s) have to be searched. This was the problem. Watch out for those query related flags!

  • Steve shl9_at_cornell.edu