Re: Oracle 7 small platform?

From: Steve Williams <steverw_at_zeus.IntNet.net>
Date: 2 Oct 1994 12:26:31 -0400

Managed Imaging (lkramer_at_clark.net) wrote:
: Harry Boswell (hboswell_at_dave.wes.army.mil) wrote:
: : We've been struggling to test Oracle7/Netware for several months. We're
: : running on a 486 server with 32M RAM. It seems that, no matter what
: : tweaking I've done with the init.ora, we can't get more than 5 or 6
: : users concurrently using the database; subsequent users have processes
: : end abnormally. (The server is not under our control, and if messages
: : are being sent to the console, we're not being told about them). Is
: : this due to low RAM? Is 32M sufficient? The database is under 1G,
: : but we need to be able to test with at least 8-12 users.

: : --
: : Harry Boswell hboswell_at_dave.wes.army.mil

: We've been struggling as well with a database under 1G with a few users.
: 32M is NOT enough. Going to 64M solved many of our problems. We are
: still having trouble getting data loaded using DIRECT load from sql*loader,
: but that is another problem.

: On the question of whether a "real" operating system (yes, I know I'll
: get flamed for this ;-) such as Unix or OS/2 would be better as an Oracle
: server, I'd give the following opinion:

: Oracle probably performs better on Novell on the same hardware since
: Novell lets it suck up all available resources. If you are just using
: your box as a database server, Novell might be great, but if you want
: to run other programs from the server at the same time the database is
: being heavily used, they will suffer greatly. In this case it would
: probably be better to have OS/2 or Unix.

: Larry