Oracle7 Export and Import to/from tape device.

From: Vikas Agnihotri <vikasa_at_bear.cs.usu.edu>
Date: 25 Sep 94 13:06:58 MDT

  I am running Oracle7 Parallel Server on IBM RS/6000 570 running AIX 3.2.5

  I am doing a daily full database export directly to my tape drive which is 2.3 GB (exp system/password file=/dev/rmt0.1 full=y log=<logfile> ) I am using a non-rewinding device since Iam stacking full exports on the same tape for a week before changin tapes. Right now my database is about 40 MB but growing fast daily.

   Question:- After 2 exports on tape, how do I back up the tape
                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ONE export back so that I verify the most recent export?? By verify I intend

to do a (imp ... show=y ....) just so that I am sure the tape got wrote correctly and can be read back (no media errors).  The hard way of course is to rewind the entire tape and step through all the exports. But on Day 7, this is going to be extremely painful, not to mention the excessive wear and tear on my tape.

   I have posted a followup to the comp.unix.aix group if this query can be answered by some AIX experts.
  P.S.:- By the way, is there any other way to verify my import other than doing a show=y. Because show=y displays my entire database on screen and takes up a lot of time. Would doing a imp ... 1>/dev/null 2>error.file make things any faster.
 Anyone out there doing what Iam doing (export to tape) please respond. Another question I have is:- Is it necessary to verify my export daily? Or should I believe the exp (Export completed succesfully with no warnings) log? The reason I am asking is this will cause a lot of wear and tear on the tape drive and tape. But at the same time, when disaster strikes I do not want my import from tape to fail giving some Media Error or Tape device bad error!!

Please reply at vikasa_at_bear.cs.usu.edu

Thank you,
--Vikas Agnihotri Received on Sun Sep 25 1994 - 20:06:58 CET

Original text of this message