Oracle 5.1 and Windows

From: Elizabeth Jones <p01691_at_psilink.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 94 20:40:55 -0400

Hope the answer to this problem isn't an FAQ - its the first time I've stumbled across it!

A couple of days ago I tried to install a copy of Oracle 5.1 on a new 486 PC that has Windows installed - although windows wasn't running, when the database tried to start up on installation, it couldn't start and gave an error message saying there wasn't enough extended memory. mem showed that there was 8000 k extended memory available at that time - however, the windows drivers in config.sys appear to use extended memory, and there is a utility installed on this pc that is an extended memory manager. When I took just one of the windows drivers out of config.sys, Oracle would run, and it didn't seem to matter which of the drivers I took out, as long as at least one was removed.

So what's the story? Is this old version of Oracle fundamentally incompatible with Windows? Are they both trying to allocate the same part of extended memory? Is there any way I can tell Oracle what extended memory to use? Or am I totally off track and its something other than windoze that is the problem?

Thanks for any enlightenment that can be shed -

Ebeth Received on Tue Sep 20 1994 - 02:40:55 CEST

Original text of this message