CRON utility available for Netware

From: Richard D Holowczak <holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu>
Date: 15 Sep 1994 10:49:21 -0400

Hi folks. A while back some people were asking about a CRON-like program for Netware. Something that would sit around and wait until a specific time of day and then execute a console command.

I think I've found such a beast. I have not tested it yet but from the docs it looks as if running something like EXP or SQLDBA _at_script.sql would not be a problem.

You can find it at:

         ftp.novell.com

in:

        /pub/netwire/novuser/01

File:

        novcro.zip

It is shareware (~$25 I think).

Also, there was a recent announcement of a version of PERL for Netware. I'm not familiar with PERL but it seems to be something of a batch control language like REXX. From what I hear (and read) it's pretty powerful. Here's the dope on that:

From: jocelyn_at_cuslm.ca (Jocelyn Nadeau) Newsgroups: bit.listserv.novell,comp.sys.novell Subject: Perl.nlm available by FTPMail
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 1994 12:10:58 GMT

PL40364.ZIP is now available in uuencoded format from FTP.CUSLM.CA.

Send a mail message to MAISER_at_FTP.CUSLM.CA with the words HELP and INDEX in the body of the message for a description of the service and the name of the available files.

To get perl.nlm, send a mail message to the same address with the following commands in the body of the message :

send perl1.uue
send perl2.uue
send perl3.uue

The file has been uuencoded with UU-encode 5.25 for PC.

Enjoy!

Jocelyn

Jocelyn Nadeau                                     Jocelyn_Nadeau_at_cuslm.ca
Directeur
Centre d'Informatique                          SOC.CULTURE.QUEBEC --> OUI!
Universite de Moncton - CuSLM
165 Boul Hebert                                 Telephone   : 506-737-5277
Edmundston, NB Canada                           Telecopieur : 506-737-5373
E3V 2S8

From: alan_at_lmsc.lockheed.com (Alan Strassberg) Newsgroups: comp.sys.novell
Subject: Announce: Perl for Netware (perl.nlm)

	Perl is a scripting language for manipulating text, files,
	and processes. See comp.lang.perl for details.

	Perl has been ported to run as an NLM under Netware and is
	available:

	netlab2.usu.edu:misc/pl40364.zip
	ftp.funet.fi:/pub/languages/perl/ports/perl4/netware/pl40364.zip

	Kudos and credit to Jack Thomasson (jkt_at_novell.com) for the port.

	There are no notes nor doc in the archive, here's some that
	you may fine useful -

	You need to load mathlib prior to loading perl.

(or mathlibc if you don't have a co-processor)
If you get unresolved symbols, you'll need to update your CLIB
(get LIBUP3.EXE from ftp.novell.com)
To use - :load perl <path>\scriptname A separate console screen will be created with any output. alan ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps . . . .

Rich Holowczak
Rutgers University
holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu Received on Thu Sep 15 1994 - 16:49:21 CEST

Original text of this message