DBA_ tables

From: Michael Stowe <Michael.Stowe_at_f573.n115.z1.nwugate.fidonet.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 94 22:24:02 -0500

  • Quoting Kkc_at_Nauvax.Ucc.Nau.Edu to All dated 09-12-94 ***
    > When I say "select table_name from all_tables" I can get a list of all
    > the table names in the database. As soon as I try to clarify the select
    > statement by saying "select table_name from all_tables where table_name
    > = CUSTOMER" I get the 'invalid column name' error even though table_name
    > is in fact a valid column name.

table_name is a valid column name.
CUSTOMER is not.
'CUSTOMER' is a character string.
You need to use single quotes around character strings.

> I am missing a particular clarifier or something? Can anyone shed some
> light on this? It only happens with the base ORACLE tables, I have
> checked and double checked for any typos or security problems, I have
> tried it with quotes, without quotes, and with single quotes, but it
> happens with numeric fields also?

The ALL_ and DBA_ prefixed views are views, not base tables. This doesn't make a whole lot of difference unless you expect to find them in DBA_TABLES. They are in DBA_VIEWS. Received on Wed Sep 14 1994 - 05:24:02 CEST

Original text of this message