Oracle & SQL*NET, under Trumpet Winsock

From: Bill Richardson <billrich_at_caspian.ext.vt.edu>
Date: 13 Sep 1994 18:52:28 GMT

Setting up SQL*NET Version 2 for Windows using Trumpet Winsock

I successfully installed the ORACLE Windows products SQL*NET Version 2 and TCP/IP Adaptor Version 2.0 on a PC that using Trumpet Winsock for TCP/IP services.

Installation Order - I made several tries at the installation and ended up installing the support files disks first. You may not have to do that with a fresh installation. Then I installed the tcp/ip adaptor disk, which asked for the SQL*NET client disk. (Of course, the very first task is to install the installer from the install disk).

TCP/IP Vendor Software Selection - I selected Chameleon software for my winsock compliant vendor product. It seemed to need the minimum amount of tinkering with files and attributes.

HOSTS FILE - After installation I had to create dir C:\NETMANAG and used the DOS editor to create a file called HOSTS in this dir. In the HOSTS file I added a line for the dbserver machine I planned to connect to with the following syntax:

ip_address internet_host_name alias

I'm not sure how the data in this file relates to the entry for the dbserver in TNSNAMES.ORA. Getting the HOSTS file in the dir did get me farther along, to the point that winsock started when I ran SQL-Plus the first few times. But I was not able to connect to a db machine until I got the TNSNAMES.ORA file correct. And there was no use of the alias string in the address data for my dbserver in TNSNAMES.ORA.

ORACLE.INI - This file resides in the \WINDOWS directory. For Trumpet winsock, it should have two entries:

	TCP_VENDOR=WINSOCK
	TCP_SERVICES=C:\(network)\SERVICES

The TCP_SERVICES entry should correspond to where the services file is kept for your installation of winsock.

TNSNAMES.ORA - This file must be copied and modified to allow SQL*NET To open the connection to a dbserver. The template file is found in /ORAWIN/NETWORK/ADMIN/SAMPLE and should be saved in /ORAWIN/NETWORK/ADMIN. I edited TNSNAMES.ORA and added an address for the dbserver I would be connecting to. I had to get the information on filling this address info out from the db administrator. TNSNAMES.ORA is discussed in several of the Oracle documents concerning the software.

CONFIG.SYS - I increased the following parameters in this file, per instructions in the SQL*NET documentation:

	FILES=40
	BUFFERS=16
	BREAK=ON

CONNECTING - I ran SQL*Plus to test and confirm my installation. I filled in the dialog box with my userid, password, and a host string of 'address' where 'address' is the name of the address entry for the dbserver in the TNSNAME.ORA file. If I made a typo or the box failed for some reason, I could also login to the dbserver from the SQL*Plus user prompt with a string consisting of my userid, password, and the address name: userid/pwd_at_test_service.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me and I'll try to help.

Bill Richardson
Virginia Cooperative Extension
Information Systems
Blacksburg VA

billrich_at_caspian.ext.vt.edu Received on Tue Sep 13 1994 - 20:52:28 CEST

Original text of this message