Re: DBA Monitoring Tools

From: Hari Seldon <bill_at_trout.finance.state.mn.us>
Date: 13 Sep 1994 17:41:11 GMT

In <324e2m$2b8_at_search01.news.aol.com>, tiborvari_at_aol.com (TiborVari) writes:
>In article <31jcht$88g_at_hsc.usc.edu>, mcitron_at_hsc.usc.edu (Mark Citron)
>writes:
>
><<Starting price of $25,000 ... too high to take a chance on ...>>
>
>Most products in the systems management tools market start at this level.

hmmmm the subject says dba the remark says system. which are we disscussing?

anyway i have and am in the process of evaling 3 products for bd monitoring (one of which is accually capable of hooking to netview). this eval is in addition to std work; i want to see how much effort in real life is required to learn the products. and i want to see how easy it is to use when you don't stare at it for 8hrs. my assumption is that i will learn it then basically ignore it after config. i assume i will glance at it and use it mostly when it tells me something is different.

dbgeneral from bradmark, installed and in use for a couple of months. mswindog based, winos2 (windows under os/2) is in the process of being evaled (sqlnet and sqlvdm just arrived)

adhawk from miti, installed but found a bug in this version (we are working with miti to resolve this. new code is on the way). also mswindog based see above.

patrol from bmc software, recieved yet to be installed as it is the most extensive product of the 3. hooks into netview, monitors oracle(6&7) and the os; this product unlike the others is extensible with my own code. this is also the most expensive product as it runs on a server. this is xbased and uses an agent machine to run the interface from.

the bradmark product has already shown that a monitoring tool is a must have for our environment (state finance dept). the patrol software (based on a review of the product a year or so ago) has the best potential to get me vacation time without hiring a sysadmin and a dba (yea yea i know assuming in practice it works as demo'd and as advertised)

has anyone else tried these products? please email and i'll summarize i intend to present this info to our user group when done. i'd like to try and make info available to other dba's for their use.

bill 'i hate advertizing in a disscussion group' pociengel

so what is the wow wow wibble wobble wozzey woddle woo? 'so what's a flame but a polite message reduced to it's essence?' lilb pleceoing 'I'm a little confused right now' Received on Tue Sep 13 1994 - 19:41:11 CEST

Original text of this message