Re: Oracle 7 small platform?

From: Tom Griffing <tom_at_metronet.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 1994 04:34:25 GMT

In article <34ndu8$an6_at_zeus.intnet.net>, Steve Williams <steverw_at_zeus.IntNet.net> wrote:
>Subject: Oracle 7 small platform?
>Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle
>My company is currently looking into implementing an Oracle 7
>Client/Server application. We are developing the application using
>Oracle's Netware NLM and Oracle Tools. (Netware v3.12 on a Compaq
>SystemPro 486DX/50 with 128 MB memory and 4 GB SCSI-2 drives)
>
>We expect the initial system to support 35 users utilizing Windows based
>Oracle applications. The database is expected to be no larger than 10
>GB. The majority of the users will be frequently updating and querying the
>database.
>
>We are not sure what hardware platform to use for the roll-out.
>We are considering SCO Unix on a Compaq system but we have not heard of
>any Oracle installations using SCO. All other alternatives will be
>considered. If anyone has any experience or opinion on SCO, Oracle,
>Netware/Oracle, or Unix please respond immediately.

We have been using UnixWare and Oracle (purchases separatly) and have had good success once the system was configured properly. We had a lot of trouble getting the hardware/Unixware combination working smoothly.

I would suggest purchasing a pre-installed OracleWare system from a single vendor like Information Foundation. They sell Unixware, OracleWare, and hardware. They will even sell you a working Pentium system - I still haven't seen any that are formally supported by Novell.

I would recommend that you buy a system exactly as you want to use it. I've spent too many hours trying to get something like an intelligent I/O card working. So much time, that if I'd spent that time at my client site, I could have bought a *working* system.

... Just my thoughts,

| Thomas L. Griffing       |                          |
| tom_at_metronet.com         |  (214) 352-3441          |