Re: Server Death

From: Jim Hill - MVS SQL*Net <jthill_at_upsizeme.us.oracle.com>
Date: 09 Sep 1994 02:26:43 GMT

In article <34o8m0$cvs_at_search01.news.aol.com> asama_at_aol.com (Asama) writes:
>Let's say I have an embedded SQL program. I issue a WHENEVER SQLERROR
>command to call an error handling function. I connect to the database and
>execute a SELECT statement. If the Oracle server dies in the middle of
>the SELECT statement will my error handling function be called or will the
>program simply hang?

That's a networking issue. If you're using TCP, it depends on what your keepalive timeout's set at -- if it's not set at all, you hang. If it's set at the legal minimum default, you wait a couple hours to find out.

If you're using LU6.2, you find out immediately.

I think SPX and DECNET also detect broken connections immediately, but that's from my trivia file not experience.

Jim

--
Jim Hill
<jthill%upsizeme_at_us.oracle.com>