MOSES or Very Large Databases Info

From: DAGMARA_at_DELPHI.COM <(DAGMARA_at_DELPHI.COM)>
Date: 8 Sep 1994 23:54:30 -0000

Sorry it took so long to get back to everyone about MOSES, but I was looking for some additional info that apparently was lost in my move to Texas. Anyway, for those of you with very large databases, there is a group called VLDB (for Very Large Databases). My info dates from 1990, at that time the members were: US West New Vector, Burlington Coat Factory Warehouse, Home Office Reference Laboratory Inc. British Telecom, Millipore, and (of course) ORACLE. Most of those folks are also members in the Major Open Systems Environment Standards (MOSES) group. The difference: VLDB focuses only on the RDBMS; MOSES looks at the entire environment (and primarily UNIX O/S). They get together and do surveys. The data I have is they also bring to ORACLE issues that need to be resolved for shops running giga-,terrabytes of data. In 1992 (sorry this is so old, again, the new stuff apparently was chucked) they listed the following needed tools from ORACLE:

  1. ORACLE monitoring tools to help users tune their systems
  2. Fast ORACLE backup
  3. Disk mirroring (OBE with V7).
  4. In-place database reorganization.
  5. Batch job schedules; they saw the need for ORACLE to integrate tighter with the UNIX O/S. I believe there are tools, e.g., EcoSystem, Patrol that fulfill this.
  6. Ability to quiesce tables and tablespace (allow current DML statements to finish while inhibiting new ones so a table or tablespace could be stable for maintenance procedures)

For IM:

1.  Perforamce monitors
2.  Dynamic change for init.ora paramters
3.  Incremental backup (also OBE)
4.  Database repair/ZAP utility to identify bad blocks
5.  Fairluer tolerance and isolation
6.  Integrated backup and recovery
7.  Restartable utilities
8.  Tablespace reorganization (as above)
9.  Simple migration between version and releases
10. Partitioned tables and indices: ability to divided a table or index by key range into different database files.

So, if you are a shop running ORACLE on UNIX with large data, contact your ORACLE rep to get in touch with MOSES, or for those of you going to IOUW, get in contact with the group there.

Dagmar Anne Bogan

Kopania & Komerovsky
Richardson, TX 75081

dagmara_at_delphi.com Received on Fri Sep 09 1994 - 01:54:30 CEST

Original text of this message