help reqd with oracle triggers ...

From: Axx <axx_at_aol.com>
Date: 8 Sep 1994 20:00:03 -0400

In our database that is being designed, there will be no deletes to any of the tables. We will expire the row instead. There is a view on every table that filters out all expired rows, so in effect, the row can be considered to be deleted.

Question 1 : If I issue a DELETE statement on a table, is there any way in the Oracle delete trigger to expire the row, and to return WITHOUT actually deleting the row ? The sqlcode returned should indicate successful operation. What I am searching for is something like the PowerBuilder SetActionCode function.

Question 2 : Has anybody had any major problems with keeping history ( audit ) information in the same table as the data ?

Regards,
Sanjay Akhare
Analytical Technologies Inc, USA Received on Fri Sep 09 1994 - 02:00:03 CEST

Original text of this message