Re: Giant database - will it work

From: Michael E Willett <mew_at_world.std.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 1994 21:51:19 GMT

Mike Baer at Mississippi State University writes:

>Oracle does not recommend running their RDBMS on an Optical Jukebox. I
>also got in touch with the people who sold us the...Jukebox and they
>said they did not recommend using their Optical Jukebox with Oracle.
>Also because of the way prices have gone down, most people I ask advice for
>on this subject tell me that we should switch to magnetic storage...I would
>check with Oracle before I made a large investment in an Optical Jukebox.

Mike Baer's analysis is correct. Magnetic storage prices have been dropping rapidly and the pricing of Redundant Arrays of Inexpensive/Independent Disks now approximates that of optical jukeboxes, while providing much, much greater speed. A recent study for the US Coast Guard summarized in Imaging newspaper confirmed this, indicating it no longer makes sense to install optical jukeboxes. Owning similarly priced RAIDs with I/O acceleration provides very large storage with solid state speed. RAID guru John O'Brien has published extensively on this in the technical literature, analyzing the new high-speed RAIDs. Copies are still available here, either via email or in hard copy with graphs and charts.

Mike Willett
Storage Computer Corp.
11 Riverside St.
Nashua, NH 03062
Tel. 603-880-3005 Received on Thu Sep 08 1994 - 23:51:19 CEST

Original text of this message