Re: Giant database - will it work

From: Michael Baer <msbaer_at_cast,msstate.edu>
Date: 1 Sep 1994 14:04:04 GMT

In article <7LgwRc2w165w_at_brewich.com>, donal_at_brewich.com (The Brew Witch) writes:
> andrevw_at_ideta.nl (Andre van Winssen) writes:
>

> > Imagine this:
> >
> > - your database will grow to 40Giga in two year's time
> > - no updates , only daily inserts
> > - there are predefined and ad hoc queries using a windows-client tool
> > - a maximum of 20 concurrent connects to the database
> > - software: SCO Unix, Oracle7.0 (7.1?)
> > - hardware: Compaq/XL with 2 pentiums and 64M total memory
>
> I would recommend using an optical drive for storage, and you will need to
> break the database into some smaller pieces. Perhaps 26 databases for records
> that start with A, B, C, etc... This will considerably improve the performance
> of any indivudual search and retrieve. Also, it removes certain problems with
> using very large index files.

> Donal, SysAdmin of The Brewers' Witch BBS -- +1 713 272 7350 3 lines!
> (Internet) donal_at_brewich.com (@work) bill_at_sri.brewich.com (CIS) 76460,1443
> (SCA) Ld. Donal Dubh, IC of Dun Bruadair, B of The Stargate, K of Ansteorra
> (Snail) 8880 Bellaire B-2 #139, Houston, TX 77036 (Anon UUCP) nuucp -
> ***Public Access Unix--Multichat, Internet mail, Usenet news, Games & more***

I am currently using Oracle with an Epoch Optical Jukebox. Oracle has a problem with thrashing on the Jukebox during startup because of the way Oracle acceses files. When I called Oracle about how to fix the problem, I was told that Oracle does not recommend running there RDBMS on an Optical Jukebox. I also got in touch with the people who sold us the (Epoch)Jukebox and they said they did not recommend using there Optical Jukebox with Oracle. Also because of the way prices for magnetic storage have gone down, most people I ask advice for on this subject tell me we should switch to magnetic storage. I am actually very happy with the performance of our jukebox, except with Oracle. Donal's other advice sounds good, but I would check with Oracle before I made a large investment in an Optical Jukebox.

Mike Baer
msbaer_at_cast.msstate.edu
Mississippi State University
Center For Air Sea Technology
Opinions are solely those of the author. Received on Thu Sep 01 1994 - 16:04:04 CEST

Original text of this message