Re: WIN/OS/2/ORACLE/TCP/IP?

From: <jonesa_at_dba2.moffitt.usf.edu>
Date: 8 Sep 1994 18:34:22 GMT

In article <slob.1.00479B01_at_mindspring.com>, slob_at_mindspring.com (Steve Loboyko) writes:
|> We have an application that uses Oracle via ODBC/SQL*Net (TCP/IP) running under Windows.
|> A customer asked if this application could run under OS/2's Windows subsystem. I stated that
|> the application probably would, but we didn't know if SQL*Net would communicate with OS/2's
|> native TCP/IP.
|>
|> I would appreiciate any information on the following questions. I am fairly sure that a Windows
|> stack will not work under OS/2. Please correct me if I am wrong.
|>
|> 1. Does OS/2's TCP/IP look like Winsock 1.1 to a Windows application?
|>
|> 2. Is there an SQL*Net (TCP/IP) for OS/2? Does it work with Windows' ODBC?
|>
|> 3. Does anyone have any experience with this??
|>
|> 4. Please don't flame me that this is not an OS/2 applicaition. If anyone is willing to pay for it,
|> we'll do it!!
|>

|> Thank you in advance for your help.
|>

|> Steve Loboyko

Yes, there is a SQL*Net (TCP/IP) for OS/2. You also need SQL*VDM. Using TCP/IP, SQL*Net and SQL*VDM, an OS/2 client machine running in a WIN-OS/2 session can access a remote Oracle database.

Amanda Jones
Data Base Analyst
H. Lee Moffitt Cancer and Research Center Tampa, FL

Nothing is often a good thing to do, and almost always a clever thing to say... Received on Thu Sep 08 1994 - 20:34:22 CEST

Original text of this message