Re: Omnis 7 and Oracle Developers?

From: Hari Seldon <bill_at_trout.finance.state.mn.us>
Date: 7 Sep 1994 23:04:42 GMT

In <1994Sep5.213237.1707_at_debet>, inf_btb_at_debet.nhh.no (Mac-My-Day) writes:
>In article <miket.43.02EEF26F_at_whizkid.dungeon.com>, miket_at_whizkid.dungeon.com (Mike Tatum) writes:
>> Are there any Omnis7 developers in this news group???
>>
>> rgds,
>>
>> MikeT ... (Blyth Software QA Engineer)
>
>Funny thing you would ask that!
>
>I am in the position of selecting the most appropriate front-end tool
>for the Oracle 7 database. And Omnis 7 is among the runners-up!
i wanted to use the omnis tools for our new dev but 2 things shot it down: 1) runtime cost (since repealed but to late for me) 2) apparent lack of independant code jockies (we do a bit of contract work)

for me i needed/wanted (real bad) this one major feature:  online realtime code updates (i could update the omnis client code on the fly. no one else has the ability to do this. _built in_)

really when you get right down to it 95%+ of the products offer the same capabilities. but it's that last 5% that you need to see what matches your individual needs. for me(supporting the states politically mandated budget systems i NEEDED to be able to do code updates like !NOW! 'cause policy changes dictated code changes. we (at times) would change code 2-3 times in a single day (during production) ie the code you saw this am _at_9 may not be the code you see _at_noon. the screens could change the data may no longer be available to you (the end user) all by political whim^H^H^H^H mandate.

bill 'are we having fun yet' pociengel

bill pociengel

so what is the wow wow wibble wobble wozzey woddle woo? 'so what's a flame but a polite message reduced to it's essence?' lilb pleceoing 'I'm a little confused right now' Received on Thu Sep 08 1994 - 01:04:42 CEST

Original text of this message