Re: Perfect Installation but hardly anything works

From: Dave Erwin <erwin_at_lmsc.lockheed.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 94 16:21:24 GMT

In article <33si93INNhl3_at_rrzs3.uni-regensburg.de>, c3055_at_rphc10 (Alexander Dauensteiner) wrote:

> We are running Version 7.0.16.4 for Solaris 2.3 on a Sparc 10.
> The installation worked perfectly alright but hardly any applications work.
> The ones which do work are sqldba and sqlplus.
>
> When I invoke other applications from the shell I get various
> error messages or
> no result at all. Here are some examples:
>
> f40desm =>
> FRM-91109: Internal Error -- Application startup failure.
> FRM-10039: Unable to start up the Oracle Forms designer.
>
> oragraph20m => no reaction
> g20runm => no reaction
>
> f40genm =>
> FRM-91500: Unable to start/complete the generation.
>
> rtdemo scott/tiger =>
> rtguide scott/tiger =>
> No such device to application map xterm in terminal resource file oraterm.r.
>
> orasoundm =>
> Error in starting up application context.
> Check your ORACLE_HOME setting.
>
> (but ORACLE_HOME *IS* set)
>
> orarep20m =>
> REP-0006: Warning: Syntax error at line 2 in user preference file.
> REP-3300: Fatal error in Toolkit II (UI).
> UI-1: Undefined failure in UI.
>
> browserm =>
> Environment variable ORACLE_HOME undefined or incorrect
> BRW-15004 Internal Error
>
> (but ORACLE_HOME *IS* set)
>

> and on and on and on....
>
> So how do I user the binaries correctly?
>
> Alex

This Oracle Bulletin may help.

Dave Erwin
Lockheed Missiles & Space Company
Email: erwin_at_lmsc.lockheed.com

The opinions expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of Lockheed Corporation.

--
                            Oracle Worldwide Support

                                    Bulletin

 Bulletin : 106218.846

 Author   : HTSALAPA

 Category : UNIX

 Headline : CDE SETUP TIPS

Document ID:            106218.846

Title:                  CDE Setup Tips

Creation Date:          11 August 1994

Last Revision Date:     22 August 1994

Revision Number:        0

Product:                CDE

Product Version:        II

Platform:               UNIX

Information Type:       ADVISORY

Impact:                 Medium

Abstract:               This bulletins contains tips for setting up

                        the CDE tools.

                         CDE Setup Tips

Software Requirements

---------------------

If you plan to relink your CDE executables, for example to add user

exits, on most UNIX platforms you must have X11R5 and Motif 1.2.2

on your machine.

If you don't plan to relink (that is, plan to use the CDE executables as

they come on the distribution media) on most UNIX platforms you must have

X11R4.

Look in the CDE tools release update for platform-specific requirements.

For most platforms, CDE I is certified against version 7.0.15 of the RDBMS.

CDE II is certified against version 7.0.16.

Installation

------------

*  Read carefully the CDE Release Update for your platform, particularly

   chapter "CDE Installation and Configuration".  Sections "Completing

   the Installation Tasks for the GUI Mode Environment" and "Setting

   up the GUI User Interface" in this chapter provide post-installation

   procedures related to the GUI environment.

*  The CDE tools come with their own installer.  Make sure to read in the

   correct version of the installer from the CDE distribution.

*  The CDE tools have a motif and a character based version. The motif
version
   offers a developing environment (designer) and a runtime environment.

   The character based version offers only the runtime environment, that

   is it offers no designer executable. The installer offers the option

   of installing either one or both versions of the tools.

Environment Setup

-----------------

Make sure to setup the following environment variables:

*  DISPLAY should be set to <ipaddress>:0.0

   If DISPLAY is not set you will get something like:

     FRM-91111 Internal error -- Window system startup failure

     FRM-10039 Unable to startup the Oracle forms designer

*  LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Add $ORACLE_HOME/lib to your

   LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  This variable shows where to look for runtime

   libraries.  Oracle provides some of the runtime libraries needed

   for running the CDE tools.  After the CDE installation they

   reside in $ORACLE_HOME/lib, so this directory should be added

   to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

   If when bringing up the CDE tools you get an error like:

     ld.so: libssl.so.7 not found

   This means that this library is not found in the current search path.

   Check to see where this library is located (most propably under

   $ORACLE_HOME/lib) and add this directory to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

*  For the character based version of the tools, you must specify

   the resource file to be used. This is determined by the

   ORACLE_TERM environment variable. Set this variable to point to

   one of the resource files in the $ORACLE_HOME/<CDE_tool>/admin/terminal

   directory. For Forms 4.0 you must also set the variable FORMS_DEVICE

   to point to the device you want to use from the specified

   resource file.

*  The CDE tools search for applications in the current working

   directory.  If you plan to store you applications in another

   directory set your ORACLE_PATH environment variable to point

   to the directory where the files will be located.

*  To get debugging information, set DEBUG_SLFIND to true.

*  If you plan to store temporary files in a directory other than /tmp

   set the TMPDIR variable to point to that directory.

*  Use REP_PATH to point to directories storing external objects you

   plan to use with your reports.  This variable is set by default to

     .:$ORACLE_HOME/reports20.

Overview of resources

---------------------

The CDE tools use two types of resource files:

*  Tk2Motif files, that reside in $ORACLE_HOME/guicommon/admin.

   The information is these files is directed to actual motif

   widgets.  There are several resources that can be set for each

   widget.  For more information on these resources refer to

   the OSF/Motif Programmer's Reference.  Most of these resources

   should not be modified.  However you can experiment with colors

   and fonts.

   $ORACLE_HOME/guicommon/admin/resource contains resource files

   of the form Tk2Motif.[ext], where ext is one of the following:

     bw    --   for monochrome displays

     gs    --   for grayscale displays

     rgb   --   for color displays. This defaults to sky blue.

                Alternates for color displays are:

                rose   --   sets the CDE windows to a rose color

                steel  --   sets the CDE windows to a steel blue color

                gray   --   sets the CDE windows to a gray color

    To customize the appearence of your CDE tools, copy one of the

    above files to $HOME/Tk2Motif and set the resources in this

    file to the desired values.

*   Oracle terminal files, that reside in

    $ORACLE_HOME/<CDE_tool>/admin/terminal (for the character-based

    version of CDE) or in $ORACLE_HOME/<CDE_tool>/admin/resource

    (for the motif version).  This files end with the suffix .res.

    These files contain information about keymappings, colors and

    fonts.  You can customize your .res files using Oracle Terminal

    version 2.

Platform specific issues

------------------------

*  CDE tools core dump on SunOS.

   Make sure that you have the file:

   /usr/lib/X11/C/Codeset

   If you don't, do the following:

     mkdir -p /usr/lib/X11/C

     cp $ORACLE_HOME/guicommon/tk2/admin/C/Codeset /usr/lib/X11/C/.

*  CDE tools core dump on Sun Solaris.

   Make sure that you have the directory

   /usr/lib/X11/nls

   If not, create it.

*  FRM-91111 and FRM-10039 on Sun Solaris.

   FRM-91111 Internal error -- Window system startup failure

   FRM-10039 Unable to startup the Oracle forms designer

   If your DISPLAY variable is set properly but the CDE tools

   give the above errors when coming up, make sure that

   the directory /usr/lib/X11/nls exists.  If not, create it.

*  Some known problems with the X server on SunOS 4.1.3 can

   be fixed by applying patch 100444-37 provided by Sun.