Re: Method to disable key trigger (Elegant one)

From: Alastair Newson <anewson_at_cix.compulink.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 1994 08:55:11 GMT

How I used to make the decision.

You can use key-others then you face the choice:

i. Use key-others then every key you DO want has to be enabled with the approriate built-in. (Note key-others can be defined at form level).

ii. Specifically disable the ones you DON'T want on the key- triggers.

Method
i. Is definitive about the keys you have. You won't have new functionality (keys) in future releases messing up your application.

ii. Is definitive about the keys you don't have. It will take advantage of new keys in new releases of runforms. (Scroll-up/down appeared in forms 2.3 I think)
If you're indifferent about the above comments and there's no other criteria then: use key-others if you want to disable more keys than you want to keep, and visa versa - its less work :-) I've not tried it, but I suppose another approach could be to define a new terminal if there's a set of keys you don't want in anypart of the application. The triggers will be there, but forms won't recognise the key-stroke from the keyboard.

Hint:
When disabling the key call a procedure say 'key_disabled' that has the null and a message. At least theres only one place to look after the information message/alert etc.

Alastair Newson....................'When the best leader's work is
done, Technical Projects Manager.......................the people
say, Glaxo Pharms UK Ltd..........................."We did it ourselves!"'
44-81-990-3023 Received on Fri Sep 02 1994 - 10:55:11 CEST

Original text of this message