Re: Do we choose ORACLE / DB2 6000 / Sybase???

From: Barberl <barberl_at_aol.com>
Date: 1 Sep 1994 21:48:12 -0400

In article <344qks$45d_at_search01.news.aol.com>, thesasman_at_aol.com (TheSASMan) writes:
We are using Oracle 7 on a 580 RS6000.

> 1. Ease of administration

Don't know. Our DBA came from a DB2 world and seems to be OK with it.

> 2. Connectability - applications with potential links are SAS
 (v6.09
>for UNIX)

               and Visual Basic for Windows Don't know about SAS. VB you can use ODBC. Haven't tried it. We are running forms under windows on PCs

> 3. Vendor Support

Tech support is non-existent. We pay for it. It works like this:

a. We call support
b. We are told the average hold time is 7 mins.
c. After 30 minutes on hold we are sent to the "Call response group" who
are basically message takers who know nothing about Oracle. Why not just have us talk to voice mail or a recorder. Spend the extra salary money on tech support people who actually know something. d. Call back after the next day when the call response person promised someone would call. They never do.
e. Call back and shout at call response person until they give you to the duty manager, who promises to get someone on it right away. f. . . . you get the picture. They rarely if ever solve problems.

> 4. Import/export issues

I'm not sure what you want there. We do it two ways. We use SQL loader to fast load stuff and for items that need processing we use PRO*C.

     5. "Performance"
When using index, it is great. We can get back queries on a million records in milliseconds.

Loyal
barberl_at_aol.com Received on Fri Sep 02 1994 - 03:48:12 CEST

Original text of this message