Re: Loading Oracle from the mainframe (quickly)

From: Bill Manry - IBM SBU <bmanry_at_upsizeme.us.oracle.com>
Date: 2 Sep 1994 00:34:00 GMT

In article <Cv3M32.H12_at_bcstec.ca.boeing.com>, illback_at_bcstec.ca.boeing.com (James Illback) writes:
|> We need to load a lot of DB2 data into Oracle fairly quickly. We do not
|> have the ability to use tape. The network is an Ethernet. Does anyone
|> have any ideas of fast transfer methods? Thanks.

The fastest Oracle load mechanism is SQL*Loader with the DIRECT=TRUE option. The data has to be accessible as a flat file on the Oracle platform, all in a form meaningful to Oracle on that platform. Assuming the Oracle side is an ASCII environment, the most straightforward approach is to unload the DB2 data to a sequential file using only character representations (no binary or packed decimal) and translate it while moving it with something like ftp.

Setting this up is non-trivial of course and is space-inefficient unless you go to the further trouble of handling your data in chunks instead of all at once. There is a far simpler load procedure that involves using one of Oracle's Transparent Gateway products and SQL*Net...it can be as simple as issuing a single CREATE or INSERT statement at the Oracle side. But it will not use the special SQL*Loader path and so will be slower. How much slower depends on the speed of the network and of the Oracle platform.

/b

Bill Manry
Oracle Corp. / Mainframe & Integration Technologies / BManry_at_us.oracle.com #include <disclaimer.usual> Received on Fri Sep 02 1994 - 02:34:00 CEST

Original text of this message