Re: ORACLE PRODUCT LIST

From: Scott Urman <surman_at_wwsun10.us.oracle.com>
Date: 1 Sep 1994 16:11:36 GMT

In article <1994Sep1.083709.12960_at_reks.uia.ac.be>, transwin_at_maze.ruca.ua.ac.be (Transporteconomie) writes:
|> Hi everyone,
|> I'm preparing a presentation about ORACLE and have some
|> problems with the meaning of some products in the ORACLE pricelist.
|> Does someone known where to find an explanation of all the products
|> of ORACLE . Particularly I want to known what the following products
|> do : Oracle Server Manager (is this SQLDBA ???).
|> Secure Network Services (what is the difference with Trusted
|> Oracle7).
|> SQL*Module
|>
|> Thanks a lot,
|>
|> Marc Mertens
|> transwin_at_ruca.ua.ac.be

SQL*Module is a new product that is another method of accessing the database from a 3GL program. It will work with C and Ada. The idea is that you put the SQL statements into a separate file, written in something called 'module language'. SQL*Module then processes this file and generates a header file that you can include in your C or Ada program. You have the SQL and 3GL code separated in different modules, which means that your C programmers don't have to know SQL and your SQL programmers don't have to know C. All the database interaction is done through procedure calls to the module language file. It can also generate a C or Ada procedure stub to call an Oracle stored procedure. If you have more questions, talk to your sales rep or order the SQL*Module 1.0 documententaiton, Oracle part number A14174-1. The introduction to the manual describes what Module is much better than I can in a brief message. Received on Thu Sep 01 1994 - 18:11:36 CEST

Original text of this message