Re: case-insensitivity in tables

From: Hank Robinson <cudau_at_csv.warwick.ac.uk>
Date: 1 Sep 1994 20:51:54 +0100

awy_at_wisny.mv.att.com (-yoshida a.w.) writes:

> What is the most efficient way to ensure that a particular table always
> has its data inserted/updated in either lower-case or upper-case. We would
> like to avoid having to constantly perform lower(column) = lower(value)
> for each comparison made. Are triggers the best way to accomplish this?
> Any thoughts would be appreciated.

You don't need a trigger for this; a simple Check Constraint will do:

Create Table ...

	(...,
	 ...,
	 Check (MyColumn1 = Upper (MyColumn1)),
	 ...,
	 Check (MyColumn2 = Lower (MyColumn2)),
	 ...);

I've heard that in 7.1, which we haven't seen yet, you can define your own datatypes. If this is true (? anyone?), then this could eliminate a hellova lot of my check constraints.

> - Andre Yoshida

Hank Robinson
Oracle DBA
University of Warwick Received on Thu Sep 01 1994 - 21:51:54 CEST

Original text of this message