Fragmentation solution

From: Barry Roomber <barry.roomber_at_compudata.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 94 16:15:00 -0500

-> After I back up all the vms files which make up the database file,
-> redo logs, and control files, do I actually have to delete them
-> before I recreate the database, or will it work just as well to let
-> oracle write over them?
If you use the "reuse" flag, it'll overwrite, else it will abort. But: If you use the "reuse" flag and the current fiels are different sizes from what is specified, it'll abort.

-> The create command in ora_db is a very skeletal compared to the
-> number of datafiles in my system now. Is it true the import will
-> create all the proper files in the proper places, or should I edit
-> the create command before I execute it?
It'll create them.

-> When I create my additional rollback segment in the system
-> tablespace, do I need to make it identical to the one created
-> originally or does it matter?
Shouldn't matter if you create ADDITIONAL rollbacks in a dedicated tablespace. This is important to keep fragmentation down.

-> Is the Maxdatafiles 32 and maxlogfiles 32 contained anywhere but the
-> initial create command? I would like to raise this total if
-> possible. Could not find limits in the Oracle manuals.
In the create command only. Will increase size of control file (who cares) BUT if you are "reusing" a current control file during creation, it'll abort becuase it will be a different size, so delete it 1st.

-> If anybody has any other pitfalls to watch out for, or added
-> instructions, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Make sure you have "COMMIT=Y" in imp parfile or rollbacks will be huge. Also, set you TEMPORARY tablespace to a dedicated tablespace with a LARGE default segment size (at leat 1M). This'll allow sorts during index creations to flow to disk without go past MAXEXTENTS (unless you have indexes greator then 100M, and in that case make it even larger). Received on Tue Aug 30 1994 - 23:15:00 CEST

Original text of this message