Re: Striping with Oracle

From: Robert A Peters <peters_at_io.cpg.cdc.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 1994 13:17:17 GMT

John,

I am a real fan of using striped disks for Oracle or general file systems. However, you have to look at the recovery issues involved. If you have 5 disks and one file system per disk (unstriped), and you loose a disk, you only need to recover one file system. However if you strip the 5 file systems over all 5 disks, and a disk fails, you need to recover all 5 file systems.

Striped disks will improve the I/O performance of Oracle. It also makes it easier for the DBA in that you do not have to segment the tablespace, which can be a hit or miss situation. Also, striping allocates database blocks over drives in a better way than you can do manually, so that I/O are more balanced.

Good Luck
Rob

John Whitney (jwhitney_at_crl.com) wrote:
: I am putting together a new SCO UNIX box for Oracle7, having come from
: the Netware environment. We are only going to have a few (5 or less)
: gigabytes of required disk space. I am interested in protecting the data
: using duplexing, although I understand the duplexing options available on
: SCO UNIX are not quite as robust as the Netware environment. After
: talking with one of the vedors who provides duplexing software, striping
: came up in the conversation. I am new to striping, but I think I have a
: pretty good idea of how it works. Are there really performance gains with
: striping? What about recovering Oracle data files on striped drives? If
: we did not stripe, we would apply the OFA specifications and tune the
: system ourselves. I would appreciate any comments from people who have had
: good/bad experiences with striping.
:
: Thanks in advance!
: