Striping with Oracle

From: John Whitney <jwhitney_at_crl.com>
Date: 18 Aug 1994 16:44:10 GMT

I am putting together a new SCO UNIX box for Oracle7, having come from the Netware environment. We are only going to have a few (5 or less) gigabytes of required disk space. I am interested in protecting the data using duplexing, although I understand the duplexing options available on SCO UNIX are not quite as robust as the Netware environment. After talking with one of the vedors who provides duplexing software, striping came up in the conversation. I am new to striping, but I think I have a pretty good idea of how it works. Are there really performance gains with striping? What about recovering Oracle data files on striped drives? If we did not stripe, we would apply the OFA specifications and tune the system ourselves. I would appreciate any comments from people who have had good/bad experiences with striping.

Thanks in advance! Received on Thu Aug 18 1994 - 18:44:10 CEST

Original text of this message