Re: SET SERVEROUTPUT Question

From: Sandor Nieuwenhuijs <snieuwen_at_nl.oracle.com>
Date: 19 Aug 1994 05:43:35 GMT

Tim McCollum (edtwm_at_huber.com) wrote:
: please reply post or reply to edtwm_at_huber.com

: I have a pl/sql script for which I would like to send a debug message.
: I realize that I must do set servoutput on prior to executing the procedure.
: The problem is that there is a buffer limit of 2000 bytes. The result is
: when put_line attempts to put the 2001st byte to the buffer, I receive
: ORA-20000 Buffer Overflow error.

: Does anyone know how to change the 2000 byte buffer limit??????

Look at dbmsotpt in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin, you will see that in the package dbms_output there is a procedure 'enable', to which you can pass a paramter specifying the size of the buffer, which defaults to 2000.

So try dbms_output.enable(10000)

Sandor Nieuwenhuijs
Oracle Netherlands

  • These opinions (if any) are just mine. I do not represent Oracle ---
  • Corporation in this Posting ---