Re: Raw Logical Volumes vs. Unix File Systems

From: Willy Klotz <willyk_at_kbigate.stgt.sub.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 94 22:08:10 GMT

pace_at_shell.com writes in article <CunMG5.53u_at_shellgate.shell.com>:

> Oracle DBAs,
>
> Perhaps I need to dig up the DBA FAQ (I read through the user one), but
> I need some information about creating Oracle databases on Raw Logical
> Volumes vs. standard Unix file systems.
>
> What are the advantages? Are they that much faster?

Yes - at least if your machine does mainly database processing.

> We have a 6-8 GB
> Oracle 7 database sitting on an RS/6000 590, and we are starting to see
> a major slowdown now that our tables have grown so large.

This sounds more like application and / or database design problems.

> Our DBA (I know
> close to nothing about being a DBA) just returned from Tuning class, and
> she will be analyzing the database and making some changes soon (adding
> indexes, optimizing queries, defragmenting the system, etc.).
>
> One of the options that has come up is, do we want to move to a raw
> logical volume? I'm worried that we'll lose something in the process,
> but I'm willing to try it if it helps with speed. Have any of you had
> good luck with this? Has anyone else done it under AIX 3.2.5? Any
> problems?

We did it at our site on a 58H and a 570 with 4 GB databases, and it really helped a lot.

> I'm clueless to the issues involved, and I wanted to see if there was
> any good Usenet wisdom out there on the subject. If I get any e-mail
> replies, I can form them into a summary and post it.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> --
> Stephen O. Pace pace_at_shell.com
> Shell Oil Company 713/544-7929

Willy Klotz

Willys Mail     FidoNet   2:2474/117  2:2474/118     Mail Only System
                CIS: 100020,3517       USR Courier HST dual standard
                willyk_at_kbigate.franken.de
                willyk_at_kbigate.stgt.sub.org
                ->   No Request from 06.00 to 08.00 <-