Re: DBA Monitoring Tools

From: TiborVari <tiborvari_at_aol.com>
Date: 17 Aug 1994 23:52:12 -0400

:I think it's fair to get someone's else opinion...

:Keep in mind i'm not sure it's all intentional. When i worked for Oracle,

:everything i learned about Sybase made me wonder how they ever sold a
:single copy.

I feel the same about my competition and I'm sure they feel the same!

:The bottom line is that neither one of these monitors is cheap, and
:they're gonna be protecting an important part of your business. Unless
 you
:ask these guys tough questions and get input from outside sources (such
 as
:Gartner Group), you're probably not gonna get the answers you need to
 make
:an informed decision.

I could'nt agree more with the two responses. What someone should get out of this is that there are two good products out there. They do have slightly different approaches and in terms of features, these are constantly leap frogging each other. What is left to a person evaluating these products is to determine which one best fits their needs and environment.

In terms of price, if either product can warn you about a potential problem (say archive log destination space running out), before it happens. You could fix the problem and keep a mission critical application up and running. Then consider what are the ramifications if the application goes down (say order entry), for a day; what are these costs?

Tibor Vari
EcoTools Field Support Rep.
Compuware Corporation Received on Thu Aug 18 1994 - 05:52:12 CEST

Original text of this message