Re: Help on STRIPING (AIX) DB objects....

From: bs <shatzman_at_netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 1994 21:50:31 GMT

David Pinkus (dpinkus_at_netcom.com) wrote:
: Never stripe on-line redo-logs, since they are written in a sequential
: manner.. Instead put 1 on disk 1, then 2 on disk 2, etc. Or should we
: put them all on the same disk, since it is sequential.... Simply archive
: off to another disk. (The Archiving is the only issue where I see reading/
: writing contention).... Perhaps use disk 1,2,1,2,1 etc.....

Howdy Dave!

I don't know enough to address your other striping issues, but i thought i'd comment that your 1,2,1,2... strategy for redo logs is a good one. By doing this, you can write to one while archiving the last one and you'll avoid contention (as long as it takes longer to fill a log than it does to archive one).

later dude...
barry Received on Fri Aug 12 1994 - 23:50:31 CEST

Original text of this message