Buying Oracle for P.C.......

From: M Brookes Occident <mikebrookes_at_cix.compulink.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 1994 22:55:27 GMT

I have a few questions which I hope some kind person out ther will be able to answer....!

I am considering buying ORACLE 6 for the P.C. I haven't puchased my new P.C. yet but am considering a 486 66mhz with 8/16 meg of RAM. a) How do I get a copy of oracle for the P.C. given that I am a single user (contractor), are ORACLE willing to sell me a copy without any hassle or do they prefer BIG corporate orders - I have heard that they do supply ORACLE 6 but are not too keen.

b) will ORACLE run in 8 meg, or do I need 16 meg ?

c) should I go for the DOS or O/S2 version - what are the differences ?

d) As for GUI front ends - are there any recommendations as to which is the corporate standard / best I know that you can use GUPTA / VISUAL basic etc but do these come with the Open database connectivity kits or are they extra, and if they are, how much do they cost ?

e) Can anyone recommend any courses with prices to me (preferably to run at weekends as I can't afford too much time from work !!!)  If anyone out there can give any advice, it would be much appreciated Received on Sat Aug 06 1994 - 00:55:27 CEST

Original text of this message