Re: Buying Oracle for P.C.......

From: bs <shatzman_at_netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 1994 18:23:00 GMT

M Brookes Occident (mikebrookes_at_cix.compulink.co.uk) wrote:
: I have a few questions which I hope some kind person out ther will be
: able to answer....!

: I am considering buying ORACLE 6 for the P.C. I haven't puchased my new
: P.C. yet but am considering a 486 66mhz with 8/16 meg of RAM.
: a) How do I get a copy of oracle for the P.C. given that I am a single
: user (contractor), are ORACLE willing to sell me a copy without any
: hassle or do they prefer BIG corporate orders - I have heard that they do
: supply ORACLE 6 but are not too keen.
Of course they prefer BIG corporate orders, but they'll sell anthing to anybody. They have an 800 number but i don't know it. The main number at their HQ is 415-506-7000. They'll tell you where to go.

: b) will ORACLE run in 8 meg, or do I need 16 meg ?
ORACLE will run in 8M. But once you start adding front ends other than SQL*PLUS you might run into a crunch. If you're doing any real work (and with the money you'll be spending you'd better be), you need at least 16M. In fact, i don't think 32M would be considered ridiculous (that's what i have on my machine at work). Besides, just cause ORACLE runs in 8M today, doesn't mean it will next Friday.

: c) should I go for the DOS or O/S2 version - what are the differences ?
It really depends on what you're gonna do with it. Some products, such as CASE, are really only viable on OS/2. But if you're developing a VB front end to ORACLE, you probably want DOS/Windows. Where will you want to be when Chicago or the new OS/2 comes out?

: d) As for GUI front ends - are there any recommendations as to which is
: the corporate standard / best I know that you can use GUPTA / VISUAL
: basic etc but do these come with the Open database connectivity kits or
: are they extra, and if they are, how much do they cost ?
See the various threads in this newsgroup. Some ODBC drivers are free, others, such as Q&E, cost money. Received on Thu Aug 18 1994 - 20:23:00 CEST

Original text of this message